Clear Lake Historical Society
 
 
1900-1920 Turn of the Century

1900

First winter to harvest the lake's ice for summer use.

1903

Lake reached highest level in twenty five years.

Whitaker's Covered Dock, 112 feet wide by 132 feet long, added to the Lake Shore Hotel.

1909

Bayside Amusement Park opens.

Expansion of the winter's ice caused the track used by the interurban to heave.

1910 

2nd Peterson Bathhouse opened. 

1911

The Electric Theater is now comfortably located at the White Pier where it will continue to do business for the summer.

First year to dredge the bottom of the lake between the Island and Bayside.

White Pier Dance Hall was built in view of City Park. On Fourth of July, in order to accommodate a large number of dancers, the proprietor held dime dances. The floor was cleared after each dance and dancers were held back of the railing and admitted to the floor couple by couple by the presentation of a ten-cent dance ticket for each person.

In the winter the dance pavilion was winterized and a stove set up for rollerskating. It was popular for young people in the area. A steam calliope or records provided the music.

1912 

Central School built.

1914

Chautauqua holds last meeting.

1915

Girl Scouting was first organized in Clear Lake.

1917

The large wooden rollercoster at Bayside Amusement Park opens.

Iowa’s first interurban highway is paved between Mason City and Clear Lake.

1920

State fish hatchery opens

 
View More Events

Historical Sites in Clear Lake